A highly respected and internationally recognised certificate.
This is a preparation course which, although not essential, is highly recommended. With the instructor you will identify any weaknesses, and have the opportunity to brush up on skills and prepare for the practical examination.
Min Age: 17
Previous Experience Required
- 50 days, 2,500 miles including at least 5 passages over 60 miles measured along the rhumb line from the port of departure to the destination, acting as skipper for at least two of these passages and including two which have involved overnight passages
- 5 days’ experience as skipper
- At least half this mileage and passages must be in tidal waters
- All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam
- RYA VHF/SRC radio licence or higher radio operator’s certificate
- Boat handling
- Man Overboard
- Skippering ability
Abilities gained after the course
- To feel confident taking the RYA Yachtmaster examination
- To skipper a motor cruiser up to 150 nautical miles from a safe haven
- If you need an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence in order to work on board a commercial craft subject to the MCA’s codes of practice, you will need to get it commercially endorsed. You can then work as a Master of Commercial Vessels of up to 200 gt in category 1 to 6 waters (up to 150 miles from a safe haven)
- RYA Yachtmaster Handbook ISBN: 9781905104956
- RYA Offshore Sailing ISBN: 9781906435493
- RYA Weather Handbook Northern Hemisphere ISBN: 9781905104178
- RYA Navigation Handbook 2nd Edition ISBN: 9781906435943
Find a Training Centre offering this course
Open Full Screen
The Geolocation service failed.
Your browser does not support geolocation.
Route could not be found. Please, try to select another address!
Please, select address from search list!
- Training Schools
- Location Guide