A course for Instructors providing the knowledge and skills required to teach STCW courses.
The MCA IMO 6.09 Train the Instructor course is aimed at providing the knowledge and skills required for anyone looking to teach STCW courses. Recent changes in MNTB and MCA guidelines have increased the need for Instructors to have adequate teaching qualifications. This course meets the latest requirements. This training is intended to meet the requirements set out in IMO model course 6.09. The contents of this course include the planning and preparation of effective teaching; the ability to select appropriate methods of instruction and teaching materials; and to be able to evaluate the teaching and learning process.
Previous Experience Required
Whilst no formal maritime qualifications are required to attend the course, candidates should be qualified in the technical aspects of the STCW courses they will be using this qualification for.
- Understand and describe how STCW requires competence based training
- Plan an effective teaching environment
- Teaching methods and the role of the Instructor
- Communication skills
- Use of appropriate training/teaching aids
- Designing relevant lesson plans
- Evaluate teaching and learning
- Assessment techniques and effective feedback
- Design a course of study
Abilities gained after the course
MCA IMO 6.09 Train the Instructor Certificate
All materials are included in the course
Find a Training Centre offering this course
- Training Schools
- Location Guide