Refresher of essential basic knowledge and experience of fire prevention and fighting techniques
The MCA STCW Refresher Training Fire Prevention and Fighting gives an update about the causes of fires and the precautions to be taken to minimise the risk of fire on ships. Examples of topics covered by the course are how to maintain a state of readiness to respond to fire emergencies, fighting and extinguishing fire, location of equipment to fight a fire and emergency escape routes, fire alarms and smoke detectors, types and sources of fire ignition and how to act as a member of a fire party, including the use of self-contained breathing apparatus.
Previous Experience Required
You should be over 18 years of age and be in possession of an existing STCW Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting certificate and be in a good state of health for the practical elements of the training. Seafarers who have six months or more sea service prior to 1 August 1998 and were exempt from basic safety courses; Seafarers who have a certificate of proficiency in Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting. NB – certificate of proficiency issued under the authority of other administrations will be acceptable.
- Reducing the risk of fire
- Maintaining a state of readiness to respond to fire emergency situations
- Fighting and extinguishing a fire
- Shipboard fire-fighting organisation
- Location of fire-fighting equipment and tools and emergency escape routes
- The elements of fire and explosion (the fire triangle)
- Types and sources of ignition
- Flammable material, fire hazards and spread of fire
- Fire and smoke detection and automatic alarm systems
- Classification of fire and applicable extinguishing agents
Abilities gained after the course
On completion of this training, you will have learnt the ways in which fires are caused and the precautions to be taken to minimise the risk of fire on ships. You will also be able to maintain a state of readiness to respond to emergency situations involving fires, use appropriate fire-fighting equipment provided on board and act as a member of a fire party. Upon completion of the course you will be presented with the original certificate.
MCA STCW Refresher Training Fire Prevention & Fighting every 5 years
All study materials will be included.
Find a Training Centre offering this course
- Training Schools
- Location Guide