Skipper a yacht in coastal waters, day and night
The RYA Coastal Skipper practical course is run over 5 days whilst living on board. You will learn advanced techniques whilst you complete more challenging passages. The RYA Coastal Skipper builds on the skills gained in the Day Skipper practical course. It progresses to longer passages that require watch-keeping routines. You will learn more about pilotage at night as well as during the day. You will practice dealing with emergency situations.
Most training centres will ask that you complete the Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore theory course beforehand. It is not expected that you will need to be taught the theory. It is an opportunity to put the theory into practice with an experienced instructor. He or she will demonstrate and supervise whilst on the passages and during the various drills.
The RYA Coastal Skipper course can be taken in tidal or non-tidal waters and the certificate will be endorsed accordingly.
At the end of the course, you should be able to take charge of a yacht on longer coastal passages both day and night in more challenging conditions.
Previous Experience Required
- 15 days, 300 miles and 8 night hours on board a sailing yacht
- Sailing and navigational skills to RYA Day Skipper Practical level. The theoretical knowledge required for the RYA Coastal Yachtmaster theory course
- Planning a coastal passage
- Safety equipment
- Preparing a yacht for sea
- Pilotage skills, both day and night
- Organise the navigation, deckwork, and domestic duties of a yacht on passage
- Meteorological trends
- Electronic Navigation
- Yacht handling under power
- Yacht handling under sail
- Anchoring and mooring
- Preparing for, and navigating in adverse and heavy weather, including restricted visibility
- Emergency situations
Abilities gained after the course
You will be able to skipper a cruising yacht safely on coastal passages by day and night. The RYA Coastal Skipper qualification is awarded to successful candidates.
- The RYA Marine Radio VHF/SRC course is for anyone who is going to be using a VHF marine radio.
- If diesel engines are still a mystery to you then the RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance course is a must.
RYA Offshore Sailing ISBN: 9781906435493
Find Training Centres Offering This Course
- Training Schools
- Location Guide