Skipper a yacht in coastal waters day and night
This is a combination course. Study the theory of coastal and offshore navigation and complete the RYA Coastal Skipper Practical Course.
Min Age: 17
Previous Experience Required
- Planning a coastal passage
- Customs procedures
- Safety equipment required for offshore passages
- Preparing a yacht for sea
- Pilotage skills both day and night
- Position fixing
- Plotting weather systems
- Crew welfare
- Electronic position fixing
- Yacht handling under power in various conditions
- Yacht handling under sail
- Anchoring & mooring
- Adverse and heavy weather navigation and sailing
- Emergency sitiuations
- Collision regulations
Abilities gained after the course
You will be able to skipper a cruising yacht safely on coastal passages by day and night.
The Marine Radio VHF/SRC course is highly recommended for anyone who is going to be using a VHF radio on a vessel. If diesel engines are still a mystery to you then the RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance Course is a good start.
If you are considering gaining one of the highly respected RYA Yachtmaster qualifications, you may want to consider the RYA Coastal Yachtmaster Preparation Course or the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Preparation Course. Both are examined at the end of the course by an external examiner.
RYA Offshore Sailing ISBN: 9781906435493
Find a Training Centre offering this course
- Training Schools
- Location Guide