Complete the necessary qualifying miles and prepare for the Yachtmaster Ocean oral examination.
Before taking the MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Oral exam, you need to complete a qualifying passage as skipper, mate or watch leader. This preparation course will give you this experience.
Min Age: 18
Previous Experience Required
- Planning and executing an ocean passage.
- Accurate log keeping and maintenance of records
- Using a sextant whilst at sea
- Using nautical publications
- Fuel management
- Battery power management
- Ocean Safety on board and the various associated equipment
- The importance of spares on board and materials with which to improvise
- Medical Supplies
- Water provision
- Victualling and correct stowage of fresh produce.
Abilities gained after the course
The confidence and knowledge to apply to sit the oral examination leading to the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competency.
If you need a Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence in order to work on board a commercial craft subject to the MCA’s codes of practice, you will need to get it commercially endorsed – see left. You can then work worldwide as a Master of Commercial Vessels of up to 200gt.
RYA Astro Navigation Handbook ISBN: 9781906435097
- Training Schools
- Location Guide