Skipper a cruising yacht up to 150 miles from a harbour.
The Yachtmaster Offshore preparation is run over 4 or 5 days. It involves the Instructor assessing your abilities and working on your weaker areas to ensure you are ready RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore practical examination.
The Yachtmaster Offshore qualified skipper is capable of skippering a yacht on longer passages in any conditions. The preparation will include regular debriefs by the instructor on areas such as pilotage, navigation, man overboard recovery and restricted visibility navigation.
To ensure you are ready for the 2 day examination (which usually follows on from the prep course) make sure you have brushed up on all the Yachtmaster theory.
Min Age: 18
Previous Experience Required
- 50 days, 2,500 miles including at least 5 passages over 60 miles measured along the rhumb line from the port of departure to the destination, acting as skipper for at least two of these passages and including two which have involved overnight passages.
- 5 days’ experience as skipper. At least half this mileage and passages must be in tidal waters. All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam.
- RYA VHF Radio licence or higher grade of marine radio certificate.
- A valid first aid certificate
- Passage planning
- Man overboard recovery
- Close quarters handling under sail and power
- Skippering techniques
- Navigation in restricted visibilty
- knowledge of the International Collision Regulations
Abilities gained after the course
Feel confident in sitting the practical examination leading to the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
- RYA Radar course is useful as many chart plotters come with Radar built in.
- RYA Ocean Yachtmaster shorebased course is recommended if you are intending to sail further than 150 nm from a safe haven.
- If you are planning to work on a commercial vessel you will need MCA Commercial Endorsements.
- RYA Offshore Sailing ISBN: 9781906435493
- RYA Weather Handbook – Northern Hemisphere ISBN: 9781905104178
- RYA Navigation Handbook 2nd Edition ISBN: 9781906435943
- RYA Yachtmaster Handbook ISBN: 9781905104956
- Seaman’s Guide Pocketbook of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea ISBN 0948254068
Find a Training Centre the Yachtmaster Offshore Preparation
- Training Schools
- Location Guide